Just about 60 days before kick-off, reports surfaced that Morocco had withdrawn as host of the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON). A dramatic turn for a tournament scheduled to run from March 17 to April 3, 2026 and a key qualifier for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Morocco, which had previously hosted WAFCON in 2022 and 2024 and was poised to become the first nation to host three editions in a row, reportedly pulled out of staging the championship amid fallout from the chaotic 2025 men’s Africa Cup of Nations final and ensuing controversy.
In response, South Africa’s Deputy Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Bertha Peace Mabe, said her country is ready and willing to step in as the new host, citing its strong sporting infrastructure and experience with major events.
Several media outlets reported that South Africa would replace Morocco as the official host, ensuring the tournament stays on track despite the tight timeline.
However, the situation remains unsettled and partially contradictory. South African authorities, including the Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Gayton McKenzie, clarified that no formal decision has been finalised and that Morocco remains officially designated as host until the Confederation of African Football (CAF) confirms otherwise. The ministry stressed that South Africa’s readiness to host is part of broader contingency planning rather than a confirmed relocation.
This evolving situation reflects ongoing confusion and urgency within African football governance. With just weeks remaining before teams are due to begin competition.
CAF is expected to make an official announcement in the coming days to confirm whether Morocco will retain hosting rights or if South Africa (or another nation) will take over in time for the March start date.
Sign up for the 3Music Newsletter for breaking news, events, and unique stories.
Ghanaian media personality and broadcaster Kafui Dey has sparked conversation online after sharing his thoughts on politics and politicians in Ghana.
Ghanaian rapper Medikal has officially stepped into the digital business space with the launch of his own social media mall, a platform designed to help brands, entrepreneurs and individuals promote their businesses to a wider audience online.
Ghanaian singer and global sensation MOLIY has officially surpassed an impressive 670 million views on YouTube, making her the most viewed Ghanaian artiste of all time.
“On behalf of Man City and my team, congratulations to Arsenal, Mikel, all the staff, all the players and the fans. They deserve it,” Guardiola said after the match.
Founded by Don Jazzy, Mavin Records has officially marked 14 years of shaping African music, discovering stars and delivering timeless hits across the continent and beyond.
This comes after Manchester City was held to a 1-1 draw by AFC Bournemouth on Tuesday night.
The singer followed with sharing a series of old wardrobe malfunction moments involving the fashion critic, a move many netizens interpreted as a direct clap back at his comments.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the package will include temporary accommodation, psychosocial support, medical assistance, and reintegration measures for affected Ghanaians returning home.
Mrs. Mahama was honoured and appointed as the Merck Foundation Ambassador in Ghana in recognition of the work of the Lordina Foundation over the past decade in health care, women empowerment, education and social support programmes.
The group consists of Cote d'Ivoire, Somalia, Gambia and Ghana for the qualifying stage of the African tournament to be held across Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
The party called on diplomats, development partners and international human rights organisations to closely monitor developments in Ghana and help safeguard democratic principles and civil liberties.
The tour is expected to introduce international audiences to the unique sounds and traditions of Northern Ghana.
Showboy Shares His Journey From Prison To Becoming Ghana's Biggest Trapper
Comments