Beninese singer and five-time Grammy Award winner Angélique Kidjo was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, becoming the first African artiste to receive the distinction.
Kidjo received the honour in the Recording category as part of the Hollywood Walk of Fame’s Class of 2026. The star, the 2,854th on the iconic boulevard, was unveiled at 7011 Hollywood Boulevard during a ceremony attended by actor Willem Dafoe and Recording Academy CEO Harvey Mason Jr.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce selected Kidjo alongside other recording artistes including Miley Cyrus, Josh Groban, and Lyle Lovett. Officials described her as a pioneering figure whose four-decade career has elevated African music on the global stage.

Kidjo, known for blending traditional West African sounds with contemporary styles, knelt beside her newly dedicated star before posing with a replica plaque. In remarks, she highlighted Africa’s foundational contributions to world music.
“We Africans just don’t know what we’ve given to the world, and what we continue giving to the world for the music to exist. Without us, there’s no music possible on this planet,” she said.

The recognition marks a milestone for African artistes in mainstream Western entertainment institutions.
Benin’s leadership and music industry figures have praised the achievement as a historic moment for the continent’s cultural influence.

Sign up for the 3Music Newsletter for breaking news, events, and unique stories.
It can also stretch or tear for reasons unrelated to sexual intercourse, including physical activities and some medical procedures. Dr Aminarh said this makes it medically inaccurate to expect a woman to bleed during her first sexual intercourse as proof that she was a virgin.
Ablakwa disclosed the updated figures during bilateral talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Moscow as part of a working visit.
Jester remains incarcerated and is not free, contradicting the “I’m still out” claim in the circulating video. Online users have noted that the clip appears to be a montage pairing unrelated footage with images from the Pop Smoke case.
Afenyo-Markin called for greater parliamentary scrutiny of GoldBod’s operations and the management of Ghana’s gold resources.
In a statement, GES confirmed that the Free SHS policy remains fully in effect. It stressed that the Director-General does not have the authority to cancel the national programme.
“I’ve been through a lot in life. And I feel like dancehall is the way for me to express myself,” he said.
He said the breakthrough came when he was scheduled to perform at a show in Akropong where Shatta Wale was also billed to perform.
He recalled that he could earn about GH¢15 to GH¢20 for a day’s work at the time, depending on the type of construction work he did.
The country produced 5.94 million ounces of gold last year - about 185 tonnes, a 23.41% rise from the 4.82 million ounces recorded in 2024. The surge allowed Ghana to overtake the United States in the global rankings.
Hichilema, 64, of the ruling United Party for National Development (UPND), defeated his closest challenger, Brian Mundubile, who received about 38 percent.
Traders have raised concerns about the potential disruption to their businesses and livelihoods from the planned relocation.
Afenyo-Markin made the remarks while describing her 2025 removal as unjust and the result of a “grand conspiracy.”
Showboy Shares His Journey From Prison To Becoming Ghana's Biggest Trapper
Comments